In an effort to help meet the world's increasing need for clean, affordable and reliable energy, Sithe Global operates in a manner that protects and promotes the health and well being of the environment and its inhabitants.
- Sithe Global develops its projects in close consultation with all affected stakeholders including local inhabitants, local, regional, national and international environmental and social organizations, and relevant policy makers.
- Sithe Global strives to exceed, rather than just meet, the relevant environmental requirements of the countries in which it operates.
- Sithe Global seeks to use the cleanest and most efficient technology available for its generation facilities. Where feasible, Sithe Global will push to establish new standards of cleanliness and efficiency in its designs.
- This Environmental Policy was originated and carried out at Sithe Energies, the predecessor to Sithe Global which was operated by the same principals, since its inception in 1985. For example, during public hearings in 1994 for Sithe's 1000 MW Independence Station natural gas-fired project in upstate New York, the Sierra Club testified in favor of a power plant for the first time in its history. This was a direct result of Sithe Energies' willingness to meet nitrous oxides emissions of less than 9 PPM when state requirements had just recently decreased to 25 PPM from 42 PPM, thus, establishing new nationwide standards for "Best Available Control Technology".
- Our Goreway Power Station, an 875 MW combined cycle natural gas-fired facility in Toronto, Canada, at the time of completion in 2009, was the cleanest natural gas-fired power plant of its type in Canada.
- The 250 MW Bujagali Hydroelectric Project ("BHP") in Uganda, which was built in partnership with the World Bank Group and several other multilateral and bilateral agencies, is registered as the largest renewable Clean Development Mechanism project in Africa, reducing carbon emissions by nearly 900,000 tons per year. BHP displaced oil burning plants, which significantly reduced the level that other pollutants such as NOx, SOx and particulates were being emitted into the atmosphere. Further, BHP is a run-of-river project (i.e. no storage reservoir) that reutilizes water that has been released from upstream hydroelectric facilities.
stewardship are all key elements of a socially responsible international energy company.